These courses and workshops are designed for anybody who has an interest in herbs. They are practical courses which focus on making, collecting and using herbal remedies for yourself.
Herbal Medicine Chest
Designed for people who would like to learn how to use herbs safely and effectively in their lives. Learn about common West country herbs as well as how to treat common ailments such as stomach upsets, colds, urinary tract infections etc.
There are 2 levels -
• Herbal Medicine Chest 1 for beginners
• Herbal Medicine Chest 2 for people who want to go further with their herbal studies.
Herbal Medicine Chest 1
This course will give you the foundation that you need in order to start using herbs effectively and safely in your life. You will learn about how to prepare and use herbal remedies for yourself, family and friends. This course provides access to Herbal Medicine Chest 2. There will be an emphasis on the recognition and use of common West Country herbs.
• Introduction to Herbal Medicine Basic terminology, where to find/buy herbs, which books, some tasting.
• Stay healthy in winter Learn about how to prevent and treat colds and flu, herbs for circulation and immune boosting. Take away some useful recipes.
• Herbs for first-aid Learn how to treat bee stings, cuts bruises, burns, coughs, tummy upsets, sprains, asthma attacks. Create your own herbal first-aid kit.
• Herbal cleanse Learn about your organs of detoxification, where they are and how they work, which herbs to support them. Learn how to do a simple liver cleanse (you will be advised on the appropriateness of this).
• Medicine Making Learn how to make ointments, creams, tinctures, herbal oils, washes and gargles, herbal syrups, poultices, capsules and medicated balms.
Herbal Medicine Chest 2
This course follows on from Herbal Medicine Chest 1, although it is also open for people who have some existing knowledge of Herbal Medicine, who want to study the subject in a little more depth. Each week, we shall concentrate on a specific body system, learning some basic anatomy and physiology, in order to understand how the herbs interact with the different systems. You will learn about specific active constituents and herb actions as well as learning about the energetics of the herbs. You will learn about how to blend herbs in order to create effective medicines for yourselves, family and friends.
There will be an emphasis on the recognition and use of common West Country herbs. .
• The Digestive System The organs involved and how they work, herbal strategies for digestive disease, including – food intolerance, indigestion, constipation, acid stomach, bloating.
• The Urinary System The kidneys and bladder. Causes of cystitis and kidney problems, herbs which treat these problems and how they work to support the urinary system.
• The Nervous system Fight and flight, what causes stress at a physiological level and how it affects the body. Herbal relaxants, sedatives, nervous tropho-restoratives.
• The Skin We will look at the structure of the skin, skin disease including eczema, psoriasis and boils. Herbs, which support the healing of the skin.
• Musculo-skeletal System We will look at the structures of the body – bones, connective tissue and what can lead to joint disease including back and neck pain. We will look at some herbs which support joint health and herbs which help relax the smooth muscles of the body.
• Cardio-vascular System The heart as a pump, arteries and veins – what can go wrong? How can herbs help with varicose veins, athero-sclerosis, bad circulation, high blood pressure, cholesterol.
• The Endocrine System We will look at the hormonal system and to how best support it herbally. Learn about Syndrome X and insulin resistance, obesity, as well as menopause and PMT.
Making Lotions and Potions
A 6 week course which will introduce students to the practical aspects of medicine and cosmetic making using fresh organic ingredients. There will be opportunity for tea tasting and discussion about various health topics. Information about the herbs and ingredients we are using each week will be covered and handouts given.
Making essential oils and infused oils
Lip balms – herbal and tinted cosmetic
Fizzy bath bombs
Each participant will take home a product each week, these will include:
Thyme and Liquorice Cough Syrup
Calendula and Orange Lip balms and Spearmint and Hemp Lip balms
Rose and Marigold Bath bombs
Aloe vera Eye Gel